Summer Camp Instructor/ Nature Mentor
Position: Summer Day Camp Instructor/Nature Mentor
Organization: Soaring Eagle Nature School
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
Soaring Eagle Nature School is seeking Instructors/Nature Mentors to join our team to offer unique summer day camps and programs for kids in the beautiful forests and beaches of the Lower Mainland. (Mostly Vancouver & North Vancouver.) This is an opportunity to share your gifts with youth through nature-based mentoring and passion-based learning. We offer a benefits package, unique paid professional development opportunities and the opportunity to spend your days outdoors.
Soaring Eagle Nature School is seeking an Instructor/Nature Mentor for Summer 2023. This position can extend to ongoing for the 2023-24 school year (Sept – June) and beyond. Please indicate if you are interested in Summer Camp only or Summer Camp AND ongoing instructing after Summer Camp (September onward)
Our mission at Soaring Eagle Nature School is to empower people to discover and share their gifts through meaningful connections with the natural world. We honour the natural cycles within people and use their excitement and curiosity to guide their learning and connections to themselves, the earth and others.
You should be passionate about working with children in a caring and supportive way and incorporating the natural world into fun-filled days. Soaring Eagle Nature School is known for a playful approach, and a ratio of 6-8 kids for every 1 adult means the opportunity to mentor kids closely. We are looking for committed and resourceful individuals to become a part of our team of Summer Camp instructors/nature mentors. There is also the possibility of continuing as an Instructor for year-long programs starting in the fall.
You will gain skills and experience from paid training sessions and experience within a dedicated team working with amazing kids in beautiful parks.
Responsibilities would include and are not limited to:
- Full-time Instructor for summer day camps working with kids aged 4 – 12.
- If you are interested, the position can continue Sept 2023 – June 2023 and beyond to instruct according to a mutually agreed-upon schedule (1-4 days/week)
- Development and implementation of age-specific nature-connected programming for youth (aged 4-12). Kids are grouped in 4-6 yr old groups and 7-12 yr old groups. Please specify your expertise with either of those age groups.
- Passion and knowledge about some of the following: survival skills, wildlife tracking and animal ID, edible and medicinal plants, navigation, forest ecology, knife safety skills, etc. Being an expert on these topics already is great, but you can also study while you work and grow your knowledge.
- Running programs rain or shine
The ideal candidate will demonstrate familiarity and understanding of the following:
- Desire to use your gifts to help guide people into a closer connection with the natural world
- Naturalist skills and a desire to keep learning these
- Experience working with children and youth aged 4-12
- Excellent group facilitation skills
- Understanding and practice of effective, clear and compassionate communication skills
- Comfort in handling student and family affairs in a competent, open and professional way
- Creative and crafty with a love of making cool things with your hands out of natural materials
- Exercise a healthy sense of humour
- Minimum 2 years experience in nature-based mentoring with children
- Standard First Aid & CPR C (will be required by date of hire)
- Clear Criminal Record Check (will be required by date of hire)
Bonus points! The following are preferred but are not required. Please send in your application even if these don’t apply to you:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in education or environmental degree
- Child Development Expertise
- Access to a vehicle
- Wilderness First Aid
- Graduate of the Immersion Program at the Wilderness Awareness School, Regenerative Design and Nature Awareness (RDNA) Program, or similar programs
Summer Camp staff training is June 19 – 23, 2023. Hours are full-time in the summer, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday – Friday. (1 week off July 31 – Aug 4.) The last day of Camp is August 25.
If applying to continue in the fall, this position is a range of 16-30 hours per week. Hours will fluctuate based on availability and experience.
- Starting wage is $21-$25/hr based on experience and availability.
- + 4% Vacation Pay
- 1 week paid training
- Training & professional development sessions throughout the year
- Health & Dental benefits through Pacific Blue Cross ( 50% of Monthly premium covered) for staff working in year-long programs who work a minimum of 20 hours/week
- Discount for educational workshops and outdoor gear for long-term staff
- Paid bi-weekly
Please send your resume, Contact info for 3 professional references, and a letter of interest.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are due right away. The review of applications will be ongoing until the positions are filled.
Thank you for your interest and please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.
We recognize the importance of employment equity and workplace diversity and encourage applicants who are Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, all genders, and LGBT2Q+ folks to apply.