Teacher/ Educator for Forest Learners Program
Part-time, Tuesdays from September to June
Location: Lower Mainland, BC (Vancouver, North Vancouver, Coquitlam and Delta)
Start date: Flexible
Soaring Eagle Nature School is seeking a passionate, innovative Educator (Teacher) to lead and inspire our small group of forest learners in a ‘classroom’ setting in North Vancouver. The group of 10 to 12 students ranges in age from 7 to 9 years old and meets in a ‘classroom’ one day per week from 9:30-3pm as part of the Forest Learners Program. The ‘classroom’ day takes place in a nature house with tables, chairs and movable walls, large windows with plenty of natural light and nature trails at our doorstep. The classroom days led by the Educator combine indoor project-based learning with outdoor exploration. The additional days of the program are spent completely in the forest with two Nature Mentors.
The Educator is responsible for designing, planning and leading the Tuesday classroom portion of the program with the assistance of a Forest Mentor who will also be present on that day. Duties are primarily centered around the one day of classroom teaching and include design, prep, delivery, communication with parents and reporting.
If you have creative ideas, are passionate about designing and delivering education experiences that push the boundaries of what’s possible and care about the natural world and our young people’s connection to it, we want you!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the Tuesday classroom portion of the Forest Learners Program from 9:30-3pm with the kids
- Create, plan and prep lesson plans that meet the requirements of the BC Core curriculum for Grades 1-3 in an innovative and exciting way using project-based learning and passion-based learning approaches
- Adapt curriculum pieces to meet the needs and learning styles of each child
- Work alongside a Nature Mentor who assists on classroom days
- Meet with Nature Mentor one hour before the class starts on Tuesdays for planning and prep plus one hour after for debrief and future planning
- Maintain clear and consistent communication with students, parents, teachers, and Nature Mentors involved in programming
- Maintain any relevant paperwork (i.e. sign in sheets, medical forms) for the program
- Translate lesson plans and activities into PLO’s for parents and for reporting purposes
- Experience working with children aged 6-9
- Familiarity with the BC Core curriculum for Grades 1-3
- Teaching language arts, literacy and math in creative, fun and engaging ways
- Experience adapting lesson plans to meet the unique needs of individual learners
- Minimum 3 years teaching in an indoor or outdoor setting
- BC Teachers Certification is an asset but not required
- Standard First Aid (will be required by date of hire)
The ideal candidate:
- Is creative, confident and resourceful; ready to take charge of the Tuesday programming and make it their own as part of the Forest Learners Program
- Has a deep desire to create a nature-based community of youth, adults and elders and has a personal passion for nature connection
- Practices effective, clear and compassionate communication skills
- Excels at group facilitation skills
- Exercises a healthy sense of humour
- Confidently handles student and family affairs, setting boundaries and communicating openly
- Models a non-coercive, gentle, and feelings-based approach to communication and is familiar with the Neufeld approach to attachment
- This is possibly a great position for a current DL teacher, or an educator looking to add one day of face-to-face teaching to their current schedule.
Start Date is flexible with interviews conducted on a rolling basis and selected applicants will be required to visit the program to ensure the best fit.
$300-$500 for one day/week (Tuesday) based on experience (plus extra hours for additional curriculum planning and reporting)
Please send your resume, along with a letter of interest, and 3 professional references to email@example.com
Applications are due right away. The review of applications will be ongoing until the posting closes and the position is filled.
Thank you for your interest and please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls please.