Soaring Eagle Nature School
Soaring Eagle Nature School is a Vancouver based school that offers unique nature based programs to youth, teens and adults. Our mission at Soaring Eagle Nature School is to empower people to discover and share their gifts through meaningful connections with the natural world. We honour the natural cycles within people and use their own excitement and curiosity to guide their learning and their connections to themselves, the earth and other people.
Soaring Eagle Nature School is seeking a Lead Instructor/ Nature Mentor for Summer 2017 and ongoing for the 2017-2018 year
This is an opportunity to share your gifts with youth and adults through nature based mentoring and passion based learning. You should be passionate about working with children in a non-coercive and supportive way, and want to bring nature connection into the lives of youth and adults in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. We are looking for committed and resourceful individuals to become a part of the school.
This is a chance to be a part of a school that comes from the lineage of the Wilderness Awareness School and the 8 Shields Model. You will be immersed in a mentoring model that can be applied to any school or organization. You will gain skills and experience from experienced and well-trained mentors who have been working and using this model for years.
Responsibilities would include and are not limited to:
- Instructor for weekly, monthly, weekend programs, as well as contract programs and school group programs. This position would also include subbing for other staff, facilitating contract programs, as well as other programs should they be developed. Curriculum includes, but is not limited to: knife safety skills, survival skills, wildlife tracking, edible and medicinal plants, navigation, forest ecology, and bird language and identification.
- Full time instructor for the summer of 2017
- Development and implementation of age specific programming for youth, teens and adults based on the 8 shields model
- Maintain clear and consistent communication with students, parents and teachers involved in programming
- Maintain all relevant paper work and administrative support for programs
- Work closely with Soaring Eagle Nature School staff to maintain clear responsibilities
- Paid Weekly or bi-weekly check in with Soaring Eagle Nature School’s director
The Ideal candidate will demonstrate familiarity and understanding of the following:
- Strong familiarity with Coyote Mentoring/ 8 shields model (developed by Jon Young and Wilderness Awareness School)
- Deep desire to have a nature based community of youth, adults and elders
- Understanding and practice of effective, clear and compassionate communication skills
- Experience working with children and youth aged 4-18
- Naturalist skills as well as earth based living skills/primitive skills
- Openness to new and potentially challenging experiences
- Excellent group facilitation skills
- Exercise a healthy sense of humour
- Comfort in handling student and family affairs in a competent and open way; confidence creating and setting clear boundaries with students and families
- Desire to expand and grow nature based programs in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland
- Desire to use your gifts to help guide people into a closer connection with the natural world
- Creative and crafty with a love of making cool things with your hands out of natural materials
- Friendly, kind and patient
- Minimum 2 year experience in nature-based mentoring with children and adults
- Wilderness First Aid (will be required by date of hire)
Preferred, but not required to apply:
- Graduate of the Anake Program and the Anake Leadership Program, RDNA program or similar program
- Graduate of the Kamana Naturalist Program, or equivalent
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in education or environmental degree
- Child Development Expertise
June 26th. Summer Camp Staff Training is June 26-30. Hours are full time in the summer. Starting in the fall, this position is a range of 18-28 hours per week. Hours will fluctuate based on availability and experience.
Starting wage $20-$25 based on experience and availability.
Please send your resume, along with a letter of interest, and 3 professional references to: jenna(AT)soaringeaglenatureschool(DOT)org
Applications due right away. The review of applications will be ongoing until the posting closes on March 24th.
Thank you for your interest and please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls please.